In the Shopify theme store, there are several themes that already come with social media icons. You can check if a theme has social media icons by going to the customized theme page and seeing the ‘Header’, ‘Sidebar’, ‘Homepage’, and ‘Footer’ menus.
Alternatively, if you’ve already set up a theme that doesn’t include social media icons, there are tons of Shopify apps that help you add these icons to your website. Best of all, some of these apps are free of charge! Simply pick an app that suits your needs and follow the app’s instructions to add it to your Shopify store.
To add social media icons to your theme using code, follow these steps:
1. In your Shopify admin dashboard, navigate to ‘Online Store’ and then click on ‘Themes’.
2. Open the ‘Asset’ folder.
3. Scroll down until you will find a link that says ‘Add a new asset’. Click on it.
4. After clicking on it, there will be a list of icon files. Select the icon file you want to upload and click on ‘Upload Asset’.
5. The icon button will now be available but will only start working once you add the code to it. To add the code, open the theme.liquid file.
6. The button will appear in your theme according to the line in which you pasted the code. Scan through the code to detect your ideal location.
7. Once you’re done, click ‘Save’.
And that’s it! You now have a working social media icon on your website. Remember to test the icon by clicking on it and checking if you’re directed to the right social media profile.
Last updated Jun 13, 2022
Applies to: Other